Friday, January 21, 2011

Faith Cometh By Hearing

Recently, the phrase "Faith cometh by hearing" has taken on a new meaning to me.  I have encouraged people to read their Bibles for as long as I can remember preaching.  It's an easy thing to preach.  Everyone knows that we should do it. Regularly, we give a challenge at the beginning of a new year for people to attempt to read the whole Bible in the coming year.  All of the effort is worth it, even if only one person takes up the challenge.  The reality is that not near as many people as should read God's word do it regularly, let alone every day.

I have not abandoned trying to get people to read their Bibles, but I am accepting that it's just not going to happen for so many.  If that is the case, here is another idea.  We must regularly expose ourselves to God's word.  I have recently started listening to God's word when I am walking or running.  At first, I listened to fast paced music or something just to keep me distracted. Now, I am trying to do something meaningful with the time. I have found that the hour gives me a chance to clear my head and even meditate on Bible truth.  When I listen to the Scripture, I hear things that I have never seen.  It's not that my eyes never read the words.  My focus is different.

I am listening to a lightly dramatized reading of the Bible.  The narrator uses some personality and a little bit of a dramatic v.  The result has been that I hear what I have not seen, and I think about the words.  The Bible does say, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Try listening to God's word.  You too may find that you will hear what you have not seen.  If you struggle reading, try listening.  God wants His children to spend time in His word.  You will be amazed at what spending time in God's word will do to your life.  Give it a try.